Sunday 20 December 2009

Well done, everybody

I'm not really sure I can be bothered to sufficiently react to the realisation that Rage Against the Machine's "Killing In The Name" is the Christmas number 1 of 2009. It's a fantastic song. It really is. It probably ought to be remembered as such. A song with lyrics embedded in political rebellion, a rallying cry against the dangers of covert modern authoritarianism. Or something. I don't really know. I'm not sure I care to find out either. I'm far too busy putting it in a playlist with Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is you" and Alexandra Burke's "Halllelujah".

It's a shame really. Joe McElderry is far from my choice of winner, really. But the song he's produced is nowhere near as offensive as other "prestigious" Christmas Number Ones as:

Bob the Builder - "Can We Fix It"
Mr Blobby - "Mr Blobby"
St Winifred's School Choir - "There's No One Quite Like Grandma"

Thank you, Rage fans. Truly, you have saved us from ourselves. A venerable national institution has forever been restored to its former glory, thanks to your prescient intervention.

Would the last one out of any kind of commercially viable UK music industry please turn out the lights?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts???